Are you or your child looking to build skills in:
–Any tertiary-level course with a writing component?
–NCEA English Levels 1-3?
–Essay writing: from basic skills to high-grade academic essays?
–Creative writing: at any level from fun writing activities for children to crafting publishable short fiction and novels?
–Grammar and spelling?
–Effective study habits?
I am available to tutor adults, teens and children in writing and study skills from now until the end of August.
I am currently employed as a tertiary literature instructor at the University of Iowa. Previously, I worked as a writing and study tutor for Victoria University of Wellington. In these positions, I helped many undergraduate students move from C-grade to A-grade level writing, both critical and creative.
I am well-versed in critical writing skills (such as essays, reports, and close reading) and creative writing skills (such as short stories, poetry, and long-form fiction).
I enjoy working with all ages and abilities, from very young children to graduate students. I have over three years’ experience working with children, from ages 5-15.
I am friendly, down-to-earth, and encouraging: I seek to build confidence as well as capability.
– Currently studying towards: Master of Fine Arts in Fiction, University of Iowa (2020)
– Master of Arts in Creative Writing with Distinction, Victoria University of Wellington (2017)
– First-Class Honours in English Literature, Victoria University of Wellington (2016)
– Bachelor of Arts in English Literature, University of Otago (2013)
– NCEA Levels 1, 2 and 3 with Excellence & Scholarship in Classics, Burnside High School (2009)
Aug 2018 - May 2020: Course Instructor, ENGL:1200 – The Interpretation of Literature, University of Iowa
Feb 2016 - Feb 2017: Peer Writer (Writing and Study Tutor), Victoria University of Wellington
Feb 2015 - Feb 2017: Volunteer Counsellor and Intake Facilitator, Youthline Wellington